MAC’s Birth Story

Quick, while she’s asleep in the Ergo and I have a chance to type!  😉  I don’t get much computer time these days, between changing and feeding.  I can manage to Tweet or do a quickie FB update because I can do that one-handed on my iPhone while breastfeeding.  Actually sitting down and getting computer time in is a luxury…so is putting on makeup for that matter.  But I digress…

After the jump is MAC’s birth story, for your reading pleasure!  If you think it might be TMI, you know what to do.

IMG 0896
Mhmm.  That would be me, taking a selfie on the birthing ball.
Haywire and I, sending photos to co-workers!  Labor is GO!

I got checked into triage and sure enough, we had amniotic fluid!  I was to be moved into a birthing room where we’d get this show on the road!  I managed to talk my way into a room with a whirlpool tub, although that later turned out to be a bust.  Once in the room, I had my birthing ball, my DH, and my two BFFs there.  My doctor popped in to see how everything was going, and while my water had broken, the fact that I wasn’t in active labor made me susceptible to infections/bacteria.  The normal course of action would be Pitocin to get things moving along.  I wasn’t prepared for this news, as I’d set out to have a natural birth with minimal interventions.  I struggled with the decision to go for the Pitocin or not, knowing that it typically leads to an epidural, which I really wanted to avoid.  I kept looking around the room for input, but eventually opted to go for the Pitocin (at 1 PM) for the safety of my baby.  At that point, getting into the tub wouldn’t be an option, as I’d be tethered to the IV drip.  I was still able to bounce on my birthing ball though, and that combined with rhythmic breathing was my main strategy for pain management.

The setting was very peaceful.  We had a bright, sunny room with lots of natural light flooding through the windows.  My nurse was calm, collected, and had a wealth of experience that was clearly shown through her mannerisms.  She had a student nurse with her at any given time, including one on her first day – lucky her!  My doctor would pop in to check on me, but most of the time it was just my support team and I, watching “Let’s Make a Deal” while I breathed through my contractions.

Still smiling through the pain!

MAC was determined to make her arrival eighteen days early, so many of my last-minute to-dos never got done.  Thankfully, we had just put the car seat in the car and my hospital bags were 90% complete.  As for the birth plan?  Never had a chance to write it.  I had some notes jotted down in the back of my Erin Condren planner, but that was it.  Making arrangements for the encapsulation of my placenta?  Didn’t get to that either.  Haywire stepped in as my secretary of sorts, making the phone call to get that going, thank goodness!

Finally, at about 5 to 6 cm, I was prompted again regarding the epidural.  The medical team was ready to support me either way, and I appreciated the no-pressure approach.  At that point, I looked to DH again for reassurance.  I wanted to be strong and birth naturally, but the pain was getting to the point where I was ready to throw in the towel.  They gave me some temporary relief while I waited thirty minutes or so for the anesthesiologist.  I opted for the spinal epidural, which was said to work the fastest.  At this point, no more birthing ball – I’d have to remain in bed.  My doctor predicted we’d have a baby within an hour after the epidural.  The epidural really worked wonders.  I could feel pressure, but no pain.  Couldn’t even feel the catheter.  Meanwhile, DH and the BFFs were watching my contractions on the screen and remarking on how huge they were.  I was blissfully unaware.  🙂

The doctor and the nurse returned and let me know it was time to push.  Again, the attitude in the room was very calm and straightforward.  The doctor instructed me how to push, which was an interesting sensation since I couldn’t feel anything.  After the first round of four pushes, I asked if I was doing it right.  Seriously, you can’t feel yourself pushing.  I just felt like I was making “the pushing sound” and not really doing anything, but apparently, I was right on the money.  DH was at my side, watching my progress, the girls were by my head, offering encouraging words.  The doctor would watch the screen, wait for a contraction, and then tell me to push.  I knew I was close when the girls started holding their breath and mumbling more.

IMG 0909
My darling little girl!

Less than an hour later, after maybe 30 to 45 minutes of pushing, MAC was born at 6:44 PM.  It was surreal, finally birthing this baby I’d been carrying for so long.  I probably asked something like, “What is it?!”  A girl, just as her daddy always suspected.  Just as we’d come to refer to our unborn child for many weeks.  She measured 7 lbs, 2.2 oz, and was 19.75″ long.

We remained in the birthing room for an hour or so, doing initial skin-to-skin bonding time, as well as breastfeeding.  “Surreal” is the best way to describe how I felt at that moment.  I didn’t know what to expect, and I’d always read other stories about the rush of emotions.  I just kept thinking how crazy it was that we had a baby.  That I had just given birth to a baby.  We all knew it was going to happen, and that day was finally here.  The rush of emotions would come later for me – pregnancy hormones were nothing in comparison to the waterworks I’d experience postpartum!

Now, I sit with a three-week-old baby, sleeping on my chest in her carrier.  The learning curve of being a parent has been humbling and challenging, but the reward couldn’t be greater.  The photo roll on my iPhone has quadrupled since she came around, as we’ve captured every new expression, every cute cloth diaper, and every impromptu family photo that we can.  My days are an endless cycle of feeding and changing, with stretches of sleep in two and three-hour increments.  As each day passes it all becomes a lot more “do-able,” juggling personal time, household management, chores, and caring for my precious little one.  We have a long way to go, but we’re on the road to get there and loving every minute of it.

I leave you with this – nothing is more powerful than that moment in which you understand the unconditional love of a parent, and know that you, too, were loved with that same sort of passion.

Thank you all for your good wishes and congratulations on the birth of my dear, sweet daughter!  If you enjoy these sorts of photos, follow me on Instagram, where MAC makes a regular appearance!
I Give Good Voice


  • Carissa Dukessaid

    What an awesome story! Glad I got to read it at 4am as I also sit here and nurse my almost 3 week old. Gosh how are they 3 weeks old already! ? Our stories are very similar. I was at 2cm for weeks, water broke (I'm a gusher!) Just to be told I wasn't in active labor. We had to go the pitocin route too. Glad you're adjusting well 🙂 it really is crazy how much time these little people require of us and how much love you can have for one tiny person!

  • Nataliasaid

    Beautiful story! I love hearing about how babies come into the world. When my water broke I didn't quite know what it was either, now looking back I laugh because what else could it have been! Now I'll definitely know for F2 🙂

  • Dina Farmersaid

    i know this is older. I'm glad you were able to do this. I didn't end up so lucky with my little man. He deiced to come into this world at 33 weeks. Which is what pushed me to palace chase. He is fine now and you'd never know he was a preemie. My whole birth plan was thrown out the window. I'm hoping to have another child by the time he turns 4 and I'm hoping for a non medicated VBAC. Great Job Erin! Holding that baby is so amazing. No matter what others say, your time with them being an infant is much too short! Hold her as long as you can!