Mrs. S from Lipstick & Leathernecks tagged me for the Liebster Blog Award and I figured I’d indulge, just to bring you more since I’ve been holding out on you for so long. I’ll try to keep it AF-related to hold your interest. 😉
1. I haven’t told you yet about the sizing of military uniforms. It’s ridiculous. I call myself “Spongebob ABU Pants” for a reason. I’m normally wear a medium shirt. My ABU top is an eighteen, which is what I was issued at BMT. I’ve tried smaller sizes, but the smallest one with the arm length I’d need is a 16. I’m not looking forward to paying to have them fitted.
2. After being really successful at BMT, I felt like my first instructor at tech school really didn’t like me and I couldn’t understand why. I don’t think I was that sassy. Eventually, we got a new instructor who I had a much better relationship with.
3. The prior service Airman in my tech school class was a little younger than me. I ended up feeling really competitive in the end and I may have been a little excited when I realized I had pass him up in my test scores. We were neck and neck for Distinguished Graduate.
4. I learned at tech school that volunteering for CQ (12 hour shifts) isn’t always a dumb move. I volunteered when leadership was in a pinch and managed to wrangle a 341 that granted me a “No PT” day. I used it on my graduation day, so I could sleep longer and put on makeup.
5. My first choices for AFSCs were Intel, Public Affairs/Historian, and Paralegal. I was also convinced that I wanted to reclass to Military Equal Opportunity (MEO).
6. On a selfish note, I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to go to Mexico this Christmas on vacation (it’s my family’s tradition) because of traveling restrictions for military members. This would be the first year in a long time that we’ve been able to afford it and that we could go together. We’ll cross our fingers and hope for the best!
7. The IP Casino in Biloxi, MS (Keesler AFB) has a pizza restaurant that has an amazing scallop appetizer. I miss fresh seafood, especially scallops! The only bummer is that you only get four in the appetizer.
8. Tech school DFACs are some of the best eating you’re going to get on a military installation, mark my words. We don’t have 1/3 of those options at the Peterson DFAC. Seriously, take advantage and load up! I miss the made-to-order sandwiches and the ice cream bar!
9. I still carry a tech school wallet when I’m in uniform. They’re approximately $4 or less and they’re a laminated paper-type material with a clear window. SUPER convenient for keeping the bar code of your CAC accessible for dining at the DFAC.
10. I love that I regularly get compliments about my AF hair (in regulation, looks near-perfect, etc.). The impression is worth the effort! Gotta be squared away!
11. If you’re going to invest in a nice, tactical backpack, go for the solid black ones. They’re cheaper and you can wear them in blues or ABUs. While I am glad I have an ABU one, it sucks having to hand-carry it when I’m in blues.
Mrs. S’ Questions