8 thoughts on “Milspouse Friday Fill-In #30 + MilSpouse Weekly Roundup #24

1. hmbsaid

We had issues when J came off active duty from the nat. guard. He was beginning to think he'd have to apply at Wal-mart. It was very discouraging and I'm with you–they need better programs for those that are ETSing from active duty or just getting back from doing fulltime things in the guard/reserves!!

2. Erinsaid

They really do because people like my husband have been out of that game for SO long, they have unrealistic expectations about how working in a civilian world goes, including the job search process. Tasks like calling back to express interest are foreign to my husband. I would love to see DH do active reserve, and there's a chance he might do some at a recruiters if need be.

3. AngieDMacsaid

The AF does have a great transitioning program, but it's still not easy either way. And it's difficult getting in because they are currently overmanned in a lot of fields. They cut people every year because of it. 🙁

4. JennyOsaid

Ow, yes the transition from AD to NG/AR is a tough crap shoot. I deployed with an New Jersey unit, flew home by myself to California. No fan fare, no real demob. It was like POOF welcome back. Military One Source saved me with its assistance to transition.I'm going to have to go take a gander at some of those milspouse pages. See if I can find my ovaries 😉 hehe j/k

5. Erinsaid

@Angie – That was the issue with me doing USAFR as an officer here – they're overloaded with people and some have to go out of state to find an available position.@Jenny0 – Military One Source is awesome, gotta lov ethem! Have fun on your ovary search! 🙂

6. To the Nthsaid

"I really do thrive during a deployment, I won't lie to you."It is so refreshing to see someone come right out and state that. Popular opinion would paint all of us military wives pining away and bravely fighting back tears every minute our men are away. Sure, we miss 'em, but we don't become shadow people when our spouses are deployed, only to spring back to life in a fit of patriotism at homecoming.

7. Nataliasaid

Goodness, thanks for the shout out! I love reading your blog too and can't wait to follow along on your new adventures!Mr. F and I had quite the whirlwind love affair but it worked for us and when you know, you know.Have a great weekend!

8. Erinsaid

@TotheNth – Thanks, I really appreciate that. No one wants to see their DH in harm's way, but it works for both of us. He wants to deploy and I'm perfectly fine with it. It makes him feel useful, and like he's doing his job. I want him to have that satisfaction, and I make the most of my alone time. Life goes on, whether he's with me or not. Yes, I love him to bits and want to share experiences with him, but I'm also perfectly capable of making myself happy and keeping myself occupied.@Natalia – I very much know what you're talking about! DH and I knew, early on.